Monday, March 16, 2015

Success at the Irish Open

Lucky enough to be able to make a trip to Kalamazoo last week first as a chaperone for my daughters model UN conference, then for some fun doubles. I played the mixed and men's 4.0.  My partner for the men's doubles couldn't make the trip, so I asked the tournament director if anyone was looking, and fortunately for me, I was able to play with a really consistent all court 4.0 player.  Our first round bye pushed our first round match to friday night, where we won in straight sets.  Early Saturday I got in the zone and my mixed partner and I won quickly, 3 & 1.   Second round men's was against a tough team that ended up winning the tourney, and we had our opportunities against them... up in the first set tiebreaker 5-2 and even with a set point 7-6.. a few shots different and it would have been ours.  Second set their serves were tough, and we lost one break to get lose it 7-6, 6-4.  BUT, I played my best and kept my cool - even on what looked like a bad call on a critical point.  I was able to be in the moment, not worry about mistakes and focus on the ball.  I felt like the mental game i've been working on was in place.   

Success of course depends on your goals.. mine were to have fun, play well,  be a good sport.  All of these tie together really to my own attitude on the court. My partner sent me the following email...  so, it feels like I WON this weekend's battle... 

Andrew:
Thanks for the fun tennis! We truly had a great time and played really good tennis… As FYI, we lost to the event champs and it could have gone either way… they deserve the victory as it was hard earned….. I cannot say enough about your demeanor in court and your level of play.. outstanding!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment