Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Shoes

When I started back in tennis a year ago, I bought some cheap Nike's and had problems with ankle roll over. I tried on a bunch of shoes, and found the Prince t22s to be very comfortable, but I've gone through 4-5 pairs in the last year by wearing holes in the toe (not from toe drag, just from regular play).   So, I tried on a few pairs of shoes. I tried a Nike,  Asics, the Adidas Baricade but none of them really fit me right.  The Adidas Baricade had too much arch for me.  I settled on a pair of Babolat Propulse 4 and am hoping that they will last longer. I've been wearing them for a couple of weeks now. They are much stiffer, and narrower up front but they fit ok.  I've had a couple of rubs and a blister after the first weekend of play, but nothing really wrong.

Interestingly, I had some pain under my knee caps off and on and this seems to have diminished.  I havent reduced my time on the court at all. However, it seems like the outside of these is lower, and I find my ankles sore after a couple hours of play, and the top of the shoe rubs on my ankle a bit but maybe this is just because they are new.

May 8:
I have abandoned the Babolat shoes.  My ankles ended up so sore I could hardly walk, and had to take a week off of tennis.  I went back to an old pair of my T22's, and my ankles were fine.  Maybe it wasn't the shoes, and just an injury... but I never had ankle problems before and that was right where these were pressing on my feet.

Alas, my T22's have holes in them, and I want to try another shoe to see how it affects me and how it lasts. After reading reviews, and talking to tennis warehouse about it, I ordered a pair of Yonex Powercushion D's and they fit great right out of the box. They are noticeably lighter than my T22's. I wore them yesterday for 2 hours, a lesson and singles match (although my singles match was under an hour.. i won the 2nd set in 16 minutes) and didn't notice that I had new shoes on... The are VERY soft under my feet. My ankles and knees didn't and still don't hurt. My knees are not sore under the knee caps where they usually get sore. I know this is only 1 outing, but so far I'm really happy with these shoes. This evening will be a better test as I'm playing competitive doubles, and we have a usta match next weekend where I'll play 3 matches.

I'll post back regarding how the comfort is long term, how they hold up, and if I need the warranty how it is handled by Yonex/TW.

No comments:

Post a Comment